Nauti-Lass Ponds & Critters, Inc.
pet turtles turtle facts types of turtles baby turtles for sale
1. A commercial turtle harvester license is required for legal water-dwelling turtles if the taking or possession is for commercial purposes.
Note: Not all bodies of water are open for commercial harvest. Records are required.
2. No person may buy, transport out of state or export aquatic turtles from Oklahoma without having applied for and received an aquatic
turtle buyer's license. Records are required.
3. It is unlawful to commercially take any Box Turtle, Alligator Snapping Turtle Macroclemys temminckii, Chicken Turtle Deirochelys
reticularia, Map Turtle Graptemys spp., Painted Turtle Chrysemys ssp., Razor-backed Musk Turtle Sternotherus carinatus, any State
and/or Federal threatened or endangered species and any soft shell turtle greater than sixteen (16) inches in length
1. A fishing license is required to take unprotected aquatic turtles for personal use. They may not be sold. A hunting license is required to
take Box Turtles
2. The taking of the Western Chicken turtle, Common Map turtle and alligator snapping turtle is prohibited
3. The daily bag and possession limits for each species is 6. There is no closed season for unprotected species.
4. Turtles may be taken for personal use from all waters except the Wichita Mountains NWR is closed to turtle harvest
5. All soft-shell turtles greater than 16 inches front to back must be returned to water immediately
6. Shooting of turtles is prohibited in accordance with Federal Regulations
1. Any person while in the act of taking or attempting to take reptiles or possessing reptiles must first possess a hunting license, unless
otherwise exempt, for land-dwelling reptiles (Box Turtles) and a fishing license, unless otherwise exempt, for water-dwelling reptiles.
2. Oklahoma law does not distinguish between native and non-native turtles. It refers to them only as land turtles or water turtles. It is
therefore assumed imported non-native species fall under the same laws.
3. Terrestrial (land) turtles may not be sold. No aquatic turtles may be sold or purchased without the proper commercial turtle harvester or
4. It is unlawful to collect, possess, sell or purchase in Oklahoma, the Alligator Snapping Turtle, the Western Chicken Turtle and the Common
5. Box turtles can be collected and possessed for personal use but all commercial trade is prohibited.
6. Possession limit for any unprotected species is 6 per species
TAKING FROM THE WILD
SUMMARY OF OKLAHOMA TURTLE LAWS
Pallid Spiny Softshell Apalone spinifera pallida
Razorback Musk Sternotherus carinatus
Red-eared Slider Trachemys scripta elegans
Southern Painted Chrysemys picta dorsalis
Three-Toed Box Terrapene carolina triunguis
Western Chicken Turtle Deirochelys reticularia miaria
Western Painted Chrysemys picta bellii
Western Spiny Softshell Apalone spinifera hartwegi
Yellow Mud Kinosternon flavescens flavescens
Alligator Snapping Turtle Macroclemys temminckii
Common Map Turtle Graptemys geographica
Common Musk Turtle (Stinkpot) Sternotherus odoratus
Common Snapping Turtle Chelydra serpentina serpentina
Midland Smooth Softshell Apalone mutica mutica
Mississippi Map Turtle Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii
Mississippi Mud Kinosternon subrubrum hippocrepis
Missouri River Cooter Pseudemys concinna metteri
Ornate Box Terrapene ornata ornata
Ouachita Map Turtle Graptemys ouachitensis ouachitensis
Type your paragraph here.