1. A Commercial Fishing Permit, a Sport Fishing License and an Aquatic Turtle Harvest permit are all required to operate tackle, harvest,
propagate, purchase or sell wildcaught aquatic turtles for commercial purposes.
2. An aquatic turtle farmer permit is required to engage in the propagation, sale or export of propagated aquatic turtles. This permit does
not allow for the purchase, barter, trade, exchange or sale of wild-caught turtles.
3. An Aquatic Turtle Dealer Permit is needed by those selling aquatic turtles captured in the wild (either in AR or elsewhere). A Commercial
Fishing license and sport fishing license are also needed in conjunction with this.
4. An alligator snapping turtle breeder/dealer permit is required to possess, buy, sell or offer to sell alligator snapping turtles or their eggs.
Alligator snapping turtles longer than 5 inches curved carapace length may not be sold, bartered, traded, or transferred
5. Importation, propagation, sale, transfer, barter, or distribution of any Box Turtle is prohibited after 6/30/05
6. It is unlawful for non-residents to purchase, sell, or offer to purchase or sell aquatic turtles in Arkansas without a non-resident aquatic
turtle dealer permit
7. It is unlawful to take or attempt to take aquatic turtles for commercial purposes by any means other than hoop nets or box type turtle
8. Some areas are closed to the commercial harvest of turtles. Check their website for open locations.
9. Alligator Snappers, Box Turtles and Chicken Turtles may not be taken.
10.For businesses in Arkansas that specialize in the captive propagation of turtles. The turtle species listed below are native to Arkansas and
may be cultured by those who obtain a Commercial Turtle Dealer/Breeder Permit from the Commission and report production by species:
Chelydra serpentina (Common Snapping Turtle)
Chrysemys picta dorsalis (Southern Painted Turtle)
Deirochelys reticularia miaria (Western Chicken Turtle)
Graptemys geographica (Common Map Turtle)
Graptemys ouachitensis (Ouachita Map Turtle)
Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii (Mississippi Map Turtle)
Pseudemys concinna (River Cooter)
Trachemys scripta elegans (Redeared Slider)
Kinosternon subrubrum hippocrepis (Mississippi Mud Turtle)
Sternotherus carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
Sternotherus oderatus (Common Musk Turtle)
Apolone spinifera (Spiny Softshell)
Trionyx muticus muticus (Midland Smooth Softshell)
TAKING FROM THE WILD
Alligator Snapping Turtle Macroclemys temmincki
Common Map Turtle Graptemys geographica
Common Musk Turtle (Stinkpot) Sternotherus odoratus
Common Snapping Turtle Chelydra serpentina serpentina
Midland Smooth Softshell Apalone mutica mutica
Mississippi Map Turtle Graptemys kohnii
Mississippi Mud Turtle Kinosternon subrubrum hippocrepis
Missouri River Cooter Pseudemys concinna metteri
Ornate Box Turtle Terrapene ornata ornate
Type your paragraph here.
Nauti-Lass Ponds & Critters, Inc.
pet turtles turtle facts types of turtles baby turtles for sale
1. Non-residents are not permitted to harvest aquatic turtles
2. It is unlawful to take or attempt to take aquatic turtle eggs from the wild.
3. Up to six individuals of a species that is neither hunted nor trapped may be kept per household if taken by hand from the wild so long as
they are not Box turtles, Alligator snapping turtles or Chicken Turtles which may not be taken. These animals may not be sold,
ownership transferred or removed from the state.
3. Maximum take for personal use is 6 per species with a maximum possession limit of 6 total of all species.
1. Up to 6 turtles per household may be kept as pets. 7 or more requires a Wildlife Breeder/Dealer permit. Turtles acquired as pets may not
be sold or traded.
2. Unlawful to possess Alligator Snappers and Box Turtles
3. Unlawful to import Aligator Snappers or Chicken Turtles
4. Proof of legal purchase is required
SUMMARY OF ARKANSAS TURTLE LAWS
Ouachita Map Turtle Graptemys ouachitensis ouachitensis
Pallid Spiny Softshell Apalone spinifera pallida
Southern Painted Turtle Chrysemys picta dorsalis
Razorback Musk Turtle Sternotherus carinatus
Red-eared Slider Trachemys scripta elegans
Three-toed Box Turtle Terrapene carolina triunguis
Western Chicken Turtle Deirochelys reticularia miaria
Western Spiny Softshell Apalone spinifera hartwegi